February 21, 2013 . .
Over the summer I had some problems with my Internet connection, specifically very high latency. It was causing problems whenever I tried to do something particularly sensitive to latency issues. I am already bad enough at online games, having massive lag was not helping. But, like nearly all connection issues, it wasn't happening all the time or even to all the packets at the times when it was acting up. I called my ISP but kept "passing" the ping tests on their end and they said nothing was wrong and that my 100-300 ms pings to multiple sites was something I was dreaming up. To get the problem fixed, I wrote a little Python script to grab the pings and a second R script to check out what was going on.
internet Python R applied statistics